Thursday, November 21, 2013

miracles.

I prayed for thankfulness today, on Day 11, but I had a hard time really keeping it in my mind as the day dragged on.  

I don't know why it felt so long.  At 4:55, I looked at the clock and thought, "Not too much longer until Rick comes home, but long enough!"  

My hands smelled faintly like Maximum Strength Desitin, but Tucker was still red and raw.  My hands were cracked and stinging from post-diaper change washes.  

I remembered a quote I heard at MOPS a year or so ago: "The days are long, but the years are short."  

Yes!  Some days are so long.

But tonight we had free passes to a Family Fun Night at The Works children's engineering museum, and Maisy was dancing around in flashing pink cowgirl boots and an oversized Dora t-shirt, with a long, curly ponytail flying behind her as she ran from place to place.  I thought, "She looks so much older tonight that I hardly recognize her!"  

The years are short. 

Tucker is almost one year old!  He is an absolute joy.  By this point in Maisy's year, I had dedicated many a blog post to her, and I don't think Tucker has had any (unless you count the Poop post, poor guy!).  Maybe I'm too busy chasing him from cabinet to outlet to toilet!  As Maisy would put it, "I love him so much I can't even say it!"

We got back from The Works tonight, and as Rick hustled Tucker inside for yet another diaper change, I attempted to bring Maisy in to get her ready for bed.  But there was fresh snow on the ground, and Maisy could not resist its draw.  I wish I could say that I just let her fly through it until she got cold or tired and wandered in with rosy cheeks.  Haha.  Riiiiight...  I let her go for a little while, fleetingly thinking, "cute", then I became impatient.  As she let snow slide off her mittens, I called to her again.  As she dashed around watching her footprints make a trail behind her, I called again.  And again.  Then I counted to 3, at which point I chased her down (as she laughed), hoisted her under my arm, and carried her inside.  If she wasn't tired, I was!

It's after 9 now, and both kids are tucked in.  I stumbled on this video.  Maybe you've seen it.  I teared up and remembered...

my kids are miracles.

So I sign off on this inexplicably exhausting evening with my favorite passage of scripture for tired days, and a video that made me smile through my tears.

28 
Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 
He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
30 
Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
31 
but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.


Isaiah 40:28-31



2 comments:

Tansasser said...

I just wrote a similar post...on my top secret blog that you can probably find now that I've posted here. :-)

Jess said...

Found your super secret blog! We were definitely on the same page today, this long, long, long day. (By the way, I also have a fear of being the "Mommy who Yells.") There's always tomorrow... good luck with Day 12. :)