Thursday, November 14, 2013

Challenge Day 4: The Enemy of Peace

What would you say is the enemy of peace? I thought about this as I prepared for Day 4 of the Keep-Your-Cool Challenge.

Busy, for sure. Too many activities, too many reasons to bundle kids up and buckle kids in. And the more I have to rush, to bundle, to buckle, the less peace I feel within. And that frustration tolerance thermometer I talked about on Day 2? I jump from green to yellow to orange and sometimes red so quickly.  Normal dawdling (and incredible Maisy dawdling), and last-minute dirty diapers, and realizing I haven't let the dog out yet - when all mixed up with the "to-do list" spinning around in the back of my head - these minor events can become a big deal. Busy is an enemy of peace.

Screens.  TVs, smart phones, laptops, tablets.  Even the radio, screen-less though it may be.  This has been on my mind a lot lately.  I'm so easily distracted by my phone.  I'll check for missed calls or texts, or quickly check my email, as if a message could be so important that it can't wait for me to refill my daughter's milk cup first.  If my kids are both napping, I'll flip on the TV and have it on as background noise as I wash dishes or do homework or prepare for ELL or whatever.  What is so wrong with quiet?  

But I do it all the time.  (I do try to keep the TV off when my kids are up and wandering around, in large part because my little girl is magnetically attracted to TV, so if it's on, whatever the show, she's glued.  That's a whole other story though.)  I've been really working on keeping my smartphone somewhere out of sight when I'm spending time with my kiddos.  It's a work in progress.  But what about when they're asleep?  I wonder what I'm missing out on by keeping my eyes and ears filled with meaningless background noise during times that could be filled with quiet, with more peace.  A still, small voice...?

32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered,each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:32-33

Day 4: Pray for Peace

Day 4: "Am I too busy?"  
The answer to this is easy: I know I am.  It's nothing to be proud of, although our society seems to hold "busy-ness" in high regard. I'm trying to be more careful before I add activities these days, whether for myself or my kids.  There are so many fun and worthwhile kids activities, but we can't and shouldn't do all of them.  Is there something else I can eliminate from our schedule?  Or something I should be careful NOT to add?

Day 4: Unplug
Confession: I had Twin Cities Live on my TV in the background while I was typing about screens being the enemy of peace.  Ha!  Point made.  I've turned it off now.  Check!  I've hidden my smartphone from sight most of the morning.  Check!  I'm not saying to go extreme and go completely electronics-free here (but feel free to try, and let me know how it goes.)  But maybe just pick one time of day to choose quiet over background noise, focus over smartphone distraction.

Maisyism of the Day:
Maisy wanted to wear a new headband she got from her grandma today.  After I put it on, she said, "No Mama, pull it down onto my forehead.  I want to look like one of Jesus' disciples."  Here she is!  What Jesus' disciples might have looked like wearing lime green:


24 
“‘“The Lord bless you
    and keep you;
25 
the Lord make his face shine on you
    and be gracious to you;
26 
the Lord turn his face toward you
    and give you peace.”’  
Numbers 6:24-26

PEACE.




No comments: