Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Faves: All for Fall

The September air is crisp; the yellow school bus just cruised by a little while ago; Maisy and I are both sporting our blue jeans today; and the leaves on one of our trees is even changing color.  Fall is coming.  As much as I enjoy summer, I really love the fall.

With a coupon for 30 percent off a kids' Halloween book in hand, Maisy and I trouped off to Barnes & Noble today to find a fall-flavored book. Here's what we agreed on:

1. Plumply Dumply Pumpkin by Mary Serfozo
I love this book!  The language is fabulous and so fun to read aloud.  It's chock full of catchy rhymes like "Peter's looking for a pumpkin, a perfect plumply dumply pumpkin" and "Helps his dad carve into place a simply dimply, dumply face."

For you teachers out there, this book provides plenty of pumpkin-themed examples of rhyming, alliteration, "juicy" word choice, synonyms, and antonyms.

Cute story, clever language, and colors that catch Maisy's eye: This one is a keeper!





Back to school means back to Sunday School and Wednesday night children's ministries as well.  Since I teach PreK-K Sunday School and K-2 Awana on Wednesdays, I thought I'd include a book with interesting game ideas for kids.

2. 180 Faith-Charged Games for Children's Ministry

One reason I like this book is the table of contents. The first 100ish games in the book are related to Bible stories, and the table of contents makes it super easy to see if what I'm teaching this week has a game to fit. In addition to the Bible story games, the book has icebreaker games, team-building Games, and more. Each game has an energy-meter, a Bible verse, brief discussion questions, and a list of the "power tools" needed for that game.

A word of caution: I don't have all of the "power tools" needed for all the games, and I doubt you do. Also, some of the games get pretty competitive for the little people I work with to be able to handle. That's where improvisation comes in. Switch up the power tools if you need to. Get rid of the competitive elements if you prefer. Make it work for you. Regardless, this book is a nice starting point for finding activities to go along with your message.

No comments: