Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Randomness: A "use-what-you-have" Recipe for Shredded Chicken Chili Wraps

Maybe you think I'm just writing about being a tutor, or about being a mom, but since this is my blog I actually get to write about whatever I feel like.  Here you'll find a simple recipe I threw together last night that turned out to taste pretty good.  It's random, but I'll see if I can somehow connect it to something "Tutor Mommy" related.

It was 4:30 pm on Monday.  We'd just gotten back from our second 8+ hour road trip to North Dakota in a two-week time span.  I'd taken Maisy in for her 6-month check-up in the morning, we'd gone to Baby Storytime at the library, and I'd used up Maisy's one good nap blogging.

Some basic unpacking.

Feed baby, play with baby, soothe baby, update baby book...

No grocery shopping.  The day had slipped away from me.  The least I could do was figure out some sort of supper.

Here's the "Tutor Mommy" connection:  A think-aloud.  I use think-alouds (see Strategy Instruction for Students with Learning Disabilities or anything from the University of Kansas Learning Strategies Curriculum to see where I got the technique from) when I'm teaching a tutoring client a new strategy.  It's just what it sounds like:  A think-aloud models my thought process as I go through the steps of a strategy I'm trying to teach.  In this case, I'll think aloud how I decided what to make for supper.

Hmmm... fridge is basically empty.  Should have gone grocery shopping.  No eggs, so there goes that simple idea.  Just had goulash yesterday and leftovers for today's lunch, so I guess I'll scrap anything with ground beef and pasta.  What's left?  Deer sausage and pancakes?  Oh yeah, no eggs.  That leaves chicken.


[I go get four frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts from the deep freeze.]

Chicken, chicken, chicken.  Guess I'll just cook it and see what comes to me.  


[I spray a frying pan and put the chicken on with a little pepper.]


Mmmmm... homemade macaroni and cheese...  No, just had pasta, plus it takes too long.  


What's in the cupboard?  Diced tomatoes for chili?  Kidney beans?  I could make chicken chili!  Too hot for chicken chili.  There are a few wraps left in the fridge.  I could just mix the cans in with the cooked chicken and toss it in a wrap - perfect!  Easy, sounds pretty good, we even have a little shredded cheese to toss on top.  


Chicken's cooked through.  Tired of chopped up chicken.  Can I shred it?


[I shred.  Pour in the tomatoes.  Drain and add the kidney beans.  Mix together, turn the frying pan on low and cover.]

Okay, what else can we have?  


[Check the freezer for frozen veggies.]


Corn.  I always like corn with chili or taco-type meals.  Corn it is.


[I toss the corn in my favorite Pampered Chef microwave container and cook it.]


What should I call it?  Shredded Chicken Chili Wraps - that even sounds like something I could find in a cookbook.  Perfect!


So there it was.  Rick came home.  We tossed the shredded chicken chili mixture into the wraps and topped it with corn and shredded Colby Jack.  Delicious!  And super easy.  You should try it:

Shredded Chicken Chili Wraps
Ingredients:
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked (fry it, grill it, bake it, I doubt it matters)
1 can chili-seasoned diced tomatoes (or any diced tomatoes with chili powder, I doubt it matters)
1 can red kidney beans, drained
1 package corn, cooked and drained
Shredded cheese, however much you want or have (I used Colby Jack, but I doubt it matters)
6 large tortillas

Directions:
Use two forks to shred the cooked chicken breast.  Return to frying pan.  Add tomatoes and drained beans.  Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  

Scoop shredded chicken chili mixture into a tortilla.  Top with corn.  Top with cheese.  

That's all there is to it - enjoy!







Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: